7 STEPS TO YOUR PEAK FUNCTIONAL HEALTH
The team at Advanced Hormone Replacement is dedicated to advancing your peak functional health.
In addition to customizing hormone replacement therapy for our patients, we wanted to offer a comprehensive plan to help you achieve your best physical and cognitive condition.
We sought out the latest research from industry experts across various fields of health, fitness, and wellness to compile a simple program for patients.
Here are 7 steps to your peak functional health:
1. HORMONE REPLACEMENT THERAPY (HRT) – Without any change in diet and exercise, the average patient loses roughly 15% body fat and picks up 9% muscle mass*. HRT will also improve your energy, skin, bones, cholesterol, blood pressure, sleep, cognitive skills, mood, and more. For the full list of benefits, click HERE.
2. DIET – Let the Healthy Eating Pyramid be your guide (from Harvard University)**
Yes – Small portions, fruit, vegetables, fish, chicken, whole grains, nuts, seeds, avocados, and healthy oils like canola oil and olive oil. Periodic fasting or juicing are highly recommended. Drink lots of water.
No – Large portions, fast-food, unhealthy fats, red meat, processed foods, starch. Limit refined grains like white rice and white bread. Avoid bacon, cold cuts, and other processed meats. Limit milk, cheese, butter, and trans fats. Limit alcohol and soda. Reduce sugar, and don’t eat a lot before bed.
3. EXERCISE – A combination of cardio, weights, and yoga is optimal:
Cardio – Regular aerobic exercise can bring remarkable changes not just to your body, your metabolism, and your heart, but also to your spirits, reports the February 2011 issue of Harvard Men’s Health Watch. Regular cardio exercise will also reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease and diabetes, and other obesity-related diseases.
Weight training – Regular circuit and weight training will not only increase your muscle mass and metabolic rate, but also will strengthen bones and reduce the risk of osteoporosis. For weight training, we recommend a high intensity – or ‘circuit’ – routine in which you work several areas of the body in rapid succession, with emphasis on form, high repetitions (8-20), and elevated heart rate.
Hot Yoga – During a regular yoga practice, you will work every system of the body: skeletal, muscular, digestive, circulatory, lymphatic, respiratory, endocrine, reproductive, nervous, reproductive, and cardiovascular. Additionally, hot yoga will improve your skin and flexibility, and is a great compliment to any physical activity.
4. VITAMINS – Professional-grade supplements deliver potent nutrients that have meaningful effects on the human body.
Advanced Hormone Replacement has partnered with Metagenics, an industry leader in supplemental health and lifestyle functional nutrition.
Metagenics was founded on a revolutionary idea—our genes do not pre-determine our health potential, and through nutrition, we can impact how our genes express themselves, thereby influencing our health and the quality of life we lead. For over 30 years, this groundbreaking philosophy has driven us to pioneer a wide-range of targeted nutritional solutions, and build partnerships with practitioners across the globe, to improve patient outcomes.
Metagenics is spearheading the movement to make nutrition a first line therapy in the prevention and treatment of disease, and the promotion of optimal health. Metagenics’ dedication to scientific discovery, unparalleled quality, and transparency have positioned them as an industry leader in lifestyle functional nutrition.
To visit our Metagenics vitamin store, click HERE
5. READ – Reading helps de-stress, develop emotional intelligence, and increase blood flow to different areas of the brain. Studies have shown that reading reduces the rate of cognitive decline in dementia patients significantly. Additionally, reading improves brain connectivity and overall function, and is a great way to expand your knowledge.
6. MEDITATION – A 2000 study at Harvard university found that meditation beneficially increased the physical size of the brain regions associated with such qualities as focused attention, deep thought, memory, and brain power while simultaneously quieting the electrical activity within the regions associated with anxiety, depression, fear, and anger.
If you are looking for a place to get started, the staff at AHR recommend Transcendental Meditation, taught by a local instructor. For more information on TM, or to find a local instructor, click: tm.org
More than four hundred scientific studies have shown the wide-ranging benefits of the TM technique for improving brain and cognitive functioning, cardiovascular health, and emotional well-being. These studies have been published in top peer-reviewed science journals. There are countless benefits for Physiological, Cognitive, and Personality improvement:
- Reduced anxiety and depression
- Reduced cortisol (the ‘stress hormone’)
- Reduced insomnia
- Normalize blood pressure
- Decreased cholesterol
- Reduce risk of heart attack and congestive heart failure
- Reduced atherosclerosis/stroke
- Decreased free radicals
- Reduced Metabolic Syndrome/ Pre-Diabetes
- Reduction in pain
- Decreased health care costs and utilization
- Higher levels of brain functioning
- Improved memory
- Improved intelligence, creativity and learning ability
- Improved academics
- Improved school behavior
- Benefits for special and remedial education
- Improved integration of personality
- Increased longevity
- Reduced substance abuse
- Becoming a great listener, with a genuine interest in other people
- A super well-developed intuition, accurately guiding you through life
- A naturally caring, compassionate, and considerate emotional set-point
- The ability to read the emotions of other people easily
- Great decision making
- Bulletproof self-discipline
- Being able to positively influence other people
- An optimistic and positive attitude
- The ability to keep cool and calm all the time
- A flexible and adaptive mindset in all situations
Billionaire Ray Dalio, the founder of $160 billion hedge-fund behemoth Bridgewater Associates, says that Transcendental Meditation has been “the single biggest influence” on his life. Dalio, 66, is considered the most successful hedge fund manager of all time. He’s been practicing Transcendental Meditation for more than 40 years.
“When I look back at my life, I am happy to have had what most people would consider a successful life, not only in terms of business, but in my relationships and in lots of ways. More than anything else, I attribute it to meditation—partially because of the creativity, partly because of the centeredness. TM has given me an ability to put things in perspective, which has helped a lot. I think meditation has been the single biggest influence on my life.”
7. LIFESTYLE MODIFICATIONS – There are countless bad habits people choose to continue which can be reversed. Here’s a shortlist of the most common bad habits:
- Fast food
- Sitting all day
- Wasting time online
- Watching TV
- Playing video games
- Nail biting
- Sleeping in
- Emotional Shopping
- Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.
- Obsessively checking phone
- Eating white sugar, drinking soda, and dairy
- Late night munchies!
Incorporate these simple steps into your life and
you will find your peak functional health!
– Advanced Hormone Replacement staff
**Footnote: Let the Healthy Eating Pyramid be your guide. Copyright © 2011, Harvard University. For more information about The Healthy Eating Plate, please see The Nutrition Source, Department of Nutrition, Harvard School of Public Health, www.thenutritionsource.org, and Harvard Health Publications, www.health.harvard.edu
The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment, by Eckhart Tolle –HERE
Transcendental Meditation: The Essential Teachings of Maharishi Mahesh Yogi – HERE
The Institute for Functional Medicine HERE